Friday, August 15, 2008

A post that doesn't have much to do with art. (but kind of does.)

One of my favorite features in the New York Times each week is "On The Street," where iconic times photographer Bill Cunningham takes photos of street style in the city. There's a ton of street style sites on the internet these days, but Cunningham is truly the original. His narration is lively and fun and his photographs capture the real vibe of NY city's streets.

A recent "On The Street" was about scarves. Anyone who knows me knows that I have an absolute fascination with scarves. I wear them in all seasons, all weather, all prints, all the time. The first time I wore one in the summer was about two seasons ago - I had on a white tank top and a lime green pashmina around my neck. I remember a boy I knew looked at me, with a puzzled stare, and asked "Why in hell are you wearing a scarf in the summer?" It's all about style, my boy. Style.

During my travels, I often come home with a bag of brochures from museums and either wearing or toting a new scarf. Case in point: three vintage Vera scarves came home from Chicago with me. In Pittsburgh, I got a striped cashmere wrap on ultra sale. In Las Vegas, it was a green and white plaid cotton scarf with accents of yellow. Someday, I hope to own a classic silk Hermes scarf, along with the book it comes with on, what else? The art of scarf knotting.

On The Street: Muffled

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Daub!

Anonymous said...

Ahh scarves! Worn in an artful manner they draw the eyes of the beholder. I love them too, there is an air of mystery about them. Fashion writers everywhere have declared this the year of the scarf. I could not be happier. Hermes are lovely especially the vintage pieces that seem to have a history within the designs. But there are lovely scarves from many makers. I feel that it is the quality of the silk (or other fabric) that is important, as well as the design.